Chocolate Breakfast Sundae
This is such a treat in the morning! It is quick to put together and feels naughty...but isn't! It is the perfect, chocolatey start to the day and can even be enjoyed as a healthy dessert to satisfy any sweet cravings later on in the day (with or without the oats). I layer mine with any granola I have made that is in the cupboard (my Ferrero Rocher or Chocolate Orange Granola goes great in this and both recipes are on the blog) or you could simply toast some oats in a dry frying pan for a minute and add some dark chocolate chips or shavings if you want a bit more indulgence. You won't regret making this, I promise!
- 200 g greek yoghurt (or you could use coconut yoghurt for a dairy free version,, though I haven't tried this yet)
- 1 heaped tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp granola or porridge oats (with 1 tsp dark chocolate chips if desired)
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 tsp almond butter (optional)
- 1 tsp cacao nibs (optional)
Begin by whisking the greek yoghurt, cacao powder, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a small bowl and set aside. Make sure the cacao powder is fully mixed in.
If you are using granola you can skip this next step, otherwise toast the oats in a dry frying pan for a minute or two (careful not to burn them) and then place in a bowl to cool slightly before adding some dark chocolate chips.
Simply layer the sundae in a bowl or tall glass as follows;
- yoghurt mixture, granola / oats, banana
- dollop the almond butter on top of the banana
- add another layer of yoghurt, granola / oats and finish with the banana and some cacao nibs / some more dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate shavings, if desired.
Serve and enjoy!